Monday, December 14, 2009

Why Me?

Brian and I had a horrible, no good day last Wednesday. We are still not at the point of laughing about it. So no laughing! I made myself smile with that comment so maybe I am getting there...

It starts about 2 weeks ago. Brian's truck died on his way to work a couple of Thursdays ago. So, we got a new battery and installed it that night at 15 degrees weather. Gotta love Idaho. Brian complained that the car was still making noises and so decided to schedule a diagnostics with the mechanic the following Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the following Monday, my boss calls me in suddenly. He asks her is she would be "willing" to trade with a 4th grade teacher in Ashton, Idaho, 35 minutes from her home. I kindly said I would think about it, because I'm just a nice person, I guess. It's true what they say about the nice guy finishing last. Brian and I talk it over and decide it is a terrible idea. I call my boss Tuesday morning to tell him I can't do it. His response was, "what if I tell you that you have to do it?" Lovely.

So, starting this week, I get to shadow the 4th grade teacher I will work closely with as I adjust to teaching a class of 4th graders. Am I certified to teach elementary. No. Am I excited to have to wake up earlier and drop Sydney off earlier at the babysitter's and get home later? No. Am I excited to have to train this 4th grade teacher who is taking my place how to do my job? No. Am I working for this school district next year? NO! and I want an amazing letter of recommendation when I leave.

Anyways, last Wednesday was the first day that this teacher shadowed me. So, it hit me very hard that this whole thing was really happening. That same day, on the way to his mechanic appointment, Brian's truck dies again. He calls the tow-truck but a sheriff decides to call Brian and tell him to get over to spot and get it off the road. I get home right as Brian had arranged for someone to take him to where his truck died )he had gotten a ride home from some really nice people). He's already frantic because the sheriff wants to tow our truck. I get home and tell Brian to take the car over there. Brian peels out of our driveway, only to get the gas main on his way. The car has the marking post lodged under it so he can't get that away from the gas main. I quickly dial 9-1-1 who tells us to get out of the house immediately. Scary!

We went to our neighbors while the firetruck turned off our gas and a man from the gas company made the repairs. So, between that repair, the truck (which needed an alternator but a man in our ward helped us save a couple hundreds of dollars by installing it for us, Thank you!), and now my extended daily driving, there's our Christmas! Yeah! blah, blah, blah. I need a vacation.

3 comments:

Party of Five said...

Ugggh! No fun for you guys! I'm so sorry. You can come visit us in Utah if you want...... not that it's much of a vacation down here..... :)

Ashley said...

OH man!! Meg, I'm so sorry to hear all that!! Love ya tons!

The Wright Family said...

Wow! that definitely stinks! You can just tell your boss (was it who I think it was?) that he sucks for doing that to you.