Friday, May 30, 2008

Baby Stuff

So, I know we may be crazy but we went ahead and bought a crib. It's what we spent our economic stimulus on (of course we still have some left over. We didn't spend THAT much on a crib.) It's really exciting having it up though, it makes the reality of the baby hit harder. We made a few scuffs into the finish as we assembled it and so that evening I had a horrible dream that we were moving and scuffed tons of finish off of it. It looked so bad, as if it was so old and just a piece of trash. Not that I treasure worldly things but I love that the crib is beautiful.

Brian and I have been bouncing around names and I am leaning towards Sydney. It's my second choice because Brian doesn't like my 1st choice which is Alexis or Lexee. But, I still really like it. I think it is growing on Brian.

With the baby coming I will be leaving my job in August. I am counting down the days! Not that my job is horrible, it just gets tiring having to make all of these decisions, trying to stay consistent and firm from student to student. It also can be hard work trying to stay one step ahead of the kids. Plus, I will miss the ego boost my job gives me. That's really why teachers teach. They like the feeling of control, the feeling of knowledge they know they contain and the expression of shock and awe when they can impress the kids with their knowledge. I know it sounds shallow but I have discovered that about myself. I do love to see the kids succeed at math still. I love to see them set higher goals for themselves and see them taking interest in post-secondary education even when they seem discouraged or think they will not be able to afford college once they leave our facility. I like expecting more from them than I know that teachers in regular public schools probably ever did. So don't get me wrong, I have several motives and although some of them may not be considered the best reasons, they're mine and they keep me happy.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I like Alexis the best out of your shared baby name choices. Alexis Tuck! How cute! I have a friend who named her little girl Alexis but mostly they call her Lexie.